I have been asked to put up more recipes so here’s one.
If you are a veggie you don’t need the bacon but you will need to season with salt and pepper and possibly cover it for the first part of the cooking process.
I suggest adding a pinch or two of paprika as well and/or a tiny dab of marmite.
To serve four:
4 medium/large carrots peeled and cut into large pieces (eg in quarters lengthways thenhalves/thirds )
1 large onion
2 dessert spoons black treacle (molasses)
1/2 teaspoon each: dried ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon
three bay leaves
a handful of raisins
8 rashers streaky bacon
a large splash of red wine
1, Preheat the oven to ~200C
2. Slice the onion and place in the bottom of an ovenproof dish with the bay leaves
3. Add peeled and cut carrots
4. Sprinkle over spices and raisins
5. Drizzles over treacle and wine
6. Layer over bacon
7. Put into oven. Cook until it begins to smell good.
8. Remove from oven. Baste with the juices thoroughly and return to oven.
9. Leave another 5-10 mins and repeat.
10. Repeat until the carrots are cooked through but al dente.
Serve with duck or green lentils or something. I don’t know. I made 1.5 portions and ate it by itself with bulgar and more red wine and it was bloody delicious.
Updated to add pictures kindly sent over by the lovely Rachel who has made this and liked it.